Mr. Bragi Gudbrandsson
Former Director General of the Icelandic Government Agency for Child Protection and former Chair of the Council of Europe Lanzarote Committee
- Nationality: Icelandic
- Born: 23 September 1953 in Reykjavik, Iceland
|1995 to 2018||Director General of the Icelandic Government Agency for Child Protection in Iceland (Barnaverndarstofa)|
|1994 to 1995||Political Advisor to Ms. R. Gudmundsdottir, Minister of Social Affairs, Iceland|
|1991 to 1994||Political Advisor to Ms. J. Sigurdardottir, Minister of Social Affairs, Iceland|
|1982 to 1991||Director of the Department of Social Services, Kopavogur, Iceland|
|1978 to 1982||Lecturer at Hamrahlid College, Reykjavik College and the University of Iceland|
|2015 to current date||Leading Expert on the Council of the Baltic Sea States (CBSS) Promise project, supported by the European Union (EU), for implementing the Barnahus (the Children’s House) model in numerous European countries|
|2012 to current date||Icelandic member of the Council of Europe Committee of the Parties to the Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (Lanzarote Committee)|
|2002 to current date||Icelandic member of the CBSS Expert Group on Children at Risk (CAR)|
Former positions and responsibilities at national, European and international level:
|2016 to 2017||Chair of the CBSS Expert Group on Children at Risk (CAR)|
|2014 to 2016||Chair of the Council of Europe Lanzarote Committee|
|2012 to 2014||External evaluator for research project on Self-Produced Images – Risk Taking Online (SPIRTO), funded by the European Safer Internet Programme and managed by the University of Edinburgh in partnership with institutions from Sweden, Germany and the United Kingdom|
|2009 to 2012||Member of the Icelandic National Committee for UNICEF|
|2009 to 2010||Chair of the Working Group for drafting the Council of Europe Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on children’s rights and social services friendly to children and families (CM/Rec(2011)12)|
|2009 to 2010||Member of the Working Group for drafting the Council of Europe Guidelines of the Committee of Ministers on child-friendly justice (2010)|
|2007 to 2008||Chair of the Inter-Ministerial Working Group for the implementation of the Parliament’s Plan of Action for Enhancing the Rights of Children and Youth in Iceland|
|2006 to 2008||Iceland’s National Coordinator for the development of Standards for Out-of-Home Care in Europe (Quality4Children Standards), organized by SOS Children’s Villages International, International Federation of Educative Communities (FICE) and International Foster Care Organization (IFCO)|
|2006 to 2007||Icelandic member of the Group of Specialists on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation (PC-S-ES) for developing measures designed to ensure the protection of children against sexual exploitation and drafting the Council of Europe Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse (CETS No. 201)|
|2005 to 2006||Member of the Working Group for drafting the Council of Europe Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on policy to support positive parenting (CM/Rec(2006)19)|
|2004 to 2005||Member of the Working Group for drafting the Council of Europe Recommendation of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on the rights of children living in residential institutions (CM/Rec(2005)5)|
|1998 to 2002||One of the founders and first elected Chair of the CBSS Expert Group on Children at Risk (CAR)|
|1996/2003/2011||Member of the Icelandic delegation submitting and presenting the periodic reports to the Committee on the Rights of the Child|
|1994 to 1995||Chair of the Icelandic Refugee Council|
|1994 to 1995||Member of the Board of Reykjavik Hospital|
|1993 to 1995||Chair of the Board of the Icelandic State Treatment Institutions for Youth|
|1992 to 1995||Icelandic member of the Council of Europe Committee for Social Cohesion (CDCS)|
|1992 to 1994||Chair of the Icelandic Committee for coordinating activities for the UN International Year of the Family|
|1991 to 1992||Chair of the Working Group for drafting the Act on Services for People with Disabilities in Iceland|
|1989 to 1991||Member of the Working Group for drafting the first Act on Local Social Services in Iceland|
|1989||Member of the Working Group for preparing the establishment of Save the Children Iceland (Barnaheill)|
|1976 to 1978||Postgraduate Studies at the University of Kent at Canterbury|
|1973 to 1976||BA (Hons) in Sociology from the University of Kent at Canterbury|
Other international participation and cooperation
- Presentations at high level international conferences, seminars, round tables, workshops and other events organized by intergovernmental organizations, such as the Council of Europe, the Council of the Baltic Sea States, the European Union, the United Nations, the Nordic Council, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the World Health Organization, and Europol.
- Presentations, keynote speeches, workshops and other educational work on children’s rights for major NGOs and International Organizations, such as the International Society for Prevention of Child Abuse and Neglect (ISPCAN), UNICEF, Save the Children, the Nordic Child Welfare Conferences, the World Childhood Foundation, etc.
- Organized and received delegations for study visits to Barnahus (the Children’s House) in Iceland of professionals, politicians, government and non-governmental officials from numerous countries during the past 20 years.
- Provided training and technical assistance for setting up Barnahus (the Children’s House) to different sectors (judicial, social, health) for the past 20 years in various countries, including Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Moldova, Cyprus, Malta, England, Slovenia and Scotland.
- Participated in consultations, national events and provided technical assistance to numerous countries in Europe and beyond (e.g. in Jordan at the request of HM Queen Rania and in Tunisia).
- Delivered the keynote speech at the 2005 day of general discussions dedicated to “Children without parental care” during the 40th session of the Committee on the Rights of the Child.
- Gudbrandsson, B. (2017). Foreword. In Johansson, Stefansen, Bakketeig and Kaldal (Eds.), Collaborating Against Child Abuse: Exploring the Nordic Barnahus Model(pp. v-xi).Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillian.
- Gudbrandsson, B. (2010). Towards a child-friendly justice and support for child victims of sexual abuse. In Protecting children from sexual violence - A comprehensive approach(pp. 84 – 96).Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Gudbrandsson, B. (2008). Rights of Children in Institutions: Report on the implementation of the Council of Europe Recommendation Rec(2005) on the rights of children living in residential institutions (Report no. CDCS(2009)9). Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
- Gudbrandsson, B. (2007). Children at risk and in care(Report accompanying Recommendation Rec(2005)5 on Rights of Children in Institutions). Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing.
The tip will be used to improve the quality of services and information on the website of the Cabinet. Feel free to contact if you need assistance.