Hoppa yfir valmynd

Icelandic Business and Economy

The Consulate carries out regular consular functions, including assistance to Icelandic nationals and firms in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

For Consular Emergency please call: 917 575 6758 or 347 495 3197

For tourist information or brochure requests please e-mail: visiticeland@promoteiceland.is

For a list of Icelandic Diplomatic Missions click here.

Application and Renewal for Icelandic citizens:

Icelanders in the United States can apply for a Icelandic Passport at the Consulate General of Iceland in New York and the Embassy of Iceland in Washington, DC.

Passport applications are processed by appointment only between 9:30 am – 11:00 am (due to time difference between Iceland and US). Appointments need to be made in advance at:
Consulate General of Iceland, tel: 646-282-9360 or icecon.ny@mfa.is
Embassy of Iceland in Washington, DC, tel: 202-265-6653 or icemb.wash@utn.stjr.is

During the application appointment a photograph is taken of the applicant and in addition fingerprints are taken of individuals older than 12.

As of 01/01/2017 the cost is USD 109. For children under 18 and seniors over 66 the cost is USD 50. We accept cash or checks only.

After applying it takes 2-3 weeks for the applicant to receive the new passport.

For children both parents need to be present. If both parents can not be present a certified consent form must be provided from the parent that is absent. Unless proof of sole custody is shown.

Embassies and Consulates can no longer extend the validity of existing Icelandic Passports.

Emergency Passports are only issued to Icelandic Citizens that are not able to apply for new passports in Iceland, or at Embassies/Consulates that issue new passports. It should be noted that Emergency Passports are not ideal travel documents and not machine readable.

Name changes. If the applicant has taken its spouse last name during marriage, you must report that to the Icelandic National Registry. Name changes are not automatic during marriage. See the website of Registers Iceland


US citizens can travel to Iceland on holiday or business for 90 days or less, in accordance with the Visa Waiver Program.

US citizens wanting to stay longer or reside in Iceland must apply for a residence permit at the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

Travelers to Iceland must be in possession of a passport, valid at least for three months beyond their intended stay. In addition to that, nationals of many countries are required to obtain a visa prior to entering Iceland. A list of those countries can be seen by clicking here

Since Iceland became a member of the Schengen Visa Agreement there are 4 offices in the United States that issue visas on Iceland's behalf.

Please contact the office nearest you.

Washington, DC

The Swedish Embassy - outsource



New York,  NY

The Consulate General of Denmark 

Tel:  +240-454-7720


Houston, TX

Norway@travisaoutsourcing.com  or call center 516-234-7789

San Francisco, CA
Norway@travisaoutsourcing.com  or call center 516-234-7789

Chicago, IL
The Lithuania Consulate
To schedule an appointment you can by phone: 312 397 0382 or write an e-mail: kons.cikaga@urm.lt, cons.chicago@mfa.lt

For information on extended tourist visas, residence and employment permits, please visit the website of the Directorate of Immigration of Iceland.

Getting Married in Iceland

In the Reykjavik area civil marriage ceremonies are performed on weekdays (Wednesday-Friday) at the office at Hlíðarsmári 1, Kópavogur at 14:00, 14:20, 14:40 and 15:00. There is a fee of IKR 7.700,-.
E-mail: gifting@syslumenn.is

If the civil marriage is to take place outside of the Reykjavik area, the local District Commissioner should be contacted. 

Special wishes for a different time and place are respected, if at all possible. That, however, can raise the cost considerably. 

Before a civil marriage can take place, the partners must submit documentation to verify that there are no impediments to the marriage according to The Law in Respect of Marriage no. 31, April 14th, 1993. Both parties must be 18 years of age and not already married.

Only original documents will be accepted. Documents in other languages than English and the Scandinavian languages have to be accompanied by a translation.

All documents must be submitted 3 weeks before the planned wedding date. If more convenient, copies can first be sent by e-mail, and the originals handed in at a later date, but no later than 5 days before the planned wedding date. If you are traveling from abroad we ask that you send copies of all documents before you leave your home country so that we can confirm that they are in order. If the documents are not submitted within this time frame, the planned marriage will be considered cancelled.

When the ceremony has taken place, a marriage certificate, in English, can be obtained from Registers Iceland (Þjóðskrá Íslands)

Þjóðskrá (The National Registry Office)
Borgartún 24
105 Reykjavík
Tel.: 354 515 5300
E-mail: skra@skra.is

If you are a citizen or resident of Denmark, Norway, Sweden or Finland, read this.

The required documents – three weeks before the planned wedding date:

1.  Hjónavígsluskýrsla/ marriage notification

The form can be sent to you by mail if required.  The form has to be carefully filled in, signed by both parties, and signed by two trustworthy persons who, by signing the form, vouch for the fact that there are no legal impediments to the planned marriage.

2.  Birth certificate.

Both partners need to submit their birth certificates.  The originals can be returned after the wedding ceremony if required.

3.  Certificate of marital status.

Both partners need to submit a certificate of marital status issued by the relevant authority in their country, state or region.  The certificate must be issued within 8 weeks prior to the wedding ceremony.

Some countries do not issue a certificate of marital status. If that has been confirmed, and the bride/groom is a foreign citizen or residing abroad, a certificate issued by the relevant authorities in their country, confirming that there are no impediments to the planned marriage, is required.

4.  If bride/groom is divorced.

A divorce decree, a document to prove that previous marriage has ended with a divorce.  It is also necessary to prove that the division of assets and liabilities between the former spouses have been finalized.

5.  If bride/groom is a widow/widower.

An official document showing that the estate (assets and liabilities) of the deceased spouse has been finalized/divided.

6.  Passports.

Both partners must present valid passports.

For information about travelling to Iceland we refer to Inspired by Iceland

Was the content helpful?NoYes
Thank you

The tip will be used to improve the quality of services and information on the website of the Cabinet. Feel free to contact if you need assistance.

Why not?

Contact us

Tip / Query

Veldu tungumál

This website uses cookies Read more