Minister of Justice
Minister of Justice
Jón Gunnarsson is Minister of Justice since February 1st 2022 and before that Minister of the Interior since 28. November 2021.
Born in Reykjavík on September 21, 1956. Parents: Gunnar Jónsson (born June 7, 1933, died August 31, 2014) master electrician and Erla Dóróthea Magnúsdóttir (born May 20, 1936, died August 25, 1988) a shopkeeper. Spouse: Margrét Halla Ragnarsdóttir (born 16 August 1956) shopkeeper. Parents: Ragnar Benediktsson and Arndís Pálsdóttir. Children: Gunnar Bergmann (1978), Arndís Erla (1982), Arnar Bogi (1992).
Degree from the metal industry department of the Reykjavík Vocational School in 1975. Degree in Business and Economics from EHÍ 1996.
Farmer at Barkarstaðir in Miðfjörður 1981–1985. Head of Advertising and Subscription at Channel Two Television 1986–1990. Marketing manager of Printing House Oddi 1991–1993. Together with his wife, he ran the import company Rún ehf. 1994–2004. Managing Director of Slysavarnafélag Landsbjörg 2005–2007. Minister of Transport and Local Government 11 January to 30 November 2017.
In the board of the constituency council of the Independence Party in the North West constituency 1982–1984. Chairman of the Air Rescue Squad of Vestur-Húnavatnssýsla 1983–1985. On the board of the Air Rescue Squad in Reykjavík 1987–1991, chairman 1989–1991. On the board of Landsbjörg - Search and Rescue 1991–1999, vice chairman 1997–1999. Chairman of Sjávarnytjar, an association of enthusiasts for the rational utilization of marine products, since 1995. Member of the national board of the Iceland Association for Search and Rescue Slysavarnafélagið Landsbjörg 1999–2005, chairman 2000–2005. On the board of the Fishermen's Accident Prevention School 2002–2009. Chairman of the Representative Council of the Independence Associations in Kópavogur 2003–2008. On the board of the Sunnuhlíð Association in Kópavogur since 2008. Secretary of the Independence Party since 2019.
- Member of Althingi for the Southwest Constituency since 2007.
- 1st Deputy Chair of the Environment and Communications Committee since 2017 (1st Deputy Chair since 2019).
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the EFTA and EEA Parliamentary Committees since 2017.
- Member of the EU-Iceland joint Parliamentary Committee since 2018.
- Member of the Judicial Affairs and Education Committee 2016–2017.
- Member of the Industrial Affairs Committee 2011–2016 (Chair 2013–2016).
- Member of the Fisheries and Agriculture Committee 2007–2011.
- Member of the Industry Committee 2010–2011.
- Member of the Social Affairs and Social Security Committee 2009–2010 and 2007–2009.
- Member of the Environment Committee 2009.
- Member of the Trade Committee 2007–2009.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the Conference of Parlamentarians of the Arctic Region 2013–2016 (Chair 2013–2016).
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the West Nordic Council 2007–2009.
- Minister of Transport and Local Government 2017.
About the Ministry of Justice
The tip will be used to improve the quality of services and information on the website of the Cabinet. Feel free to contact if you need assistance.