A Government of the Left Green Movement, the Independence Party and the Progressive Party, took office today. The Government is headed by Mrs. Katrín Jakobsdóttir, chairman of the Left Green Movement, with eleven ministers; five from the Independence Party, three from the Left Green Movement and three from the Progressive Party.
In the new Government, parties spanning the political spectrum from left to right intend to establish a new tone, concentrating on key projects bringing Iceland into the front rank and making Iceland a good place to live for young and old alike. The government's main priorities, in heading for economic, financial, social and regional stability, are;
- A strong society
- A vigorous economy
- Environment and climate
- Innovation and research
- Equal opportunities
- Democracy and transparency
- International affairs
The Ministers of the Government:
- Prime Minister is Mrs. Katrín Jakobsdóttir, chairman of the Left Green Movement.
- Minister of Finance and Economic Affairs is Mr. Bjarni Benediktsson, chairman of the Independence Party.
- Minister of Transport and Local Government is Mr. Sigurður Ingi Jóhannsson, chairman of the Progressive Party.
- Minister of Fisheries and Agriculture is Mr. Kristján Þór Júlíusson, Independence Party, (Ministry of Industries and Innovation).
- Minister of Health is Mrs. Svandís Svavarsdóttir, Left Green Movement, (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister for Foreign Affairs is Mr. Guðlaugur Þór Þórðarson, Independence Party.
- Minister of Justice is Mrs. Sigríður Á. Andersen, Independence Party.
- Minister of Tourism, Industry and Innovation is Mrs. Þórdís Kolbrún Reykfjörð Gylfadóttir, Independence Party, (Ministry of Industries and Innovation).
- Minister of Education, Science and Culture is Mrs. Lilja Dögg Alfreðsdóttir, the Progressive Party.
- Minister of Social Affairs and Equality is Mr. Ásmundur Einar Daðason, the Progressive Party, (Ministry of Welfare).
- Minister for the Environment and Natural Resources is Mr. Guðmundur Ingi Guðbrandsson, Left Green Movement.