Hoppa yfir valmynd


For information about visa requirements, please visit the website of the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

There you will find information about visa requirements, how to get a visa and how to apply, including fees and documents needed.

Iceland is a part of the Schengen Agreement and although travellers within the Schengen area are not to be asked to present a passport at borders, travellers are still advised to bring their passports. It is the obligation of everyone travelling within the area to be able to show a fully valid form of personal identification approved by other Schengen States. Also, airlines within the Schengen area may want to inspect the passports of their passengers. Three months passport validity is normally required for those intending to visit Iceland.

Please contact the Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority for information on travelling to Iceland with a pet. Information on importing live animals can be found on their website.

Icelandic Food and Veterinary Authority

Tel +354 530 4800
Fax +354 530 4801
[email protected]


Information about medicines for those travelling to Iceland can be found on the website of the Icelandic Medicines Agency.

The driving licence will need to be held for at least one year and be from the holder's country of residence. If the licence is of non-roman alphabet (e.g. Japanese), then an International driving licence will be required.

An International Driver's Permit alone isn't sufficient for a rental - it may only be used in conjunction with a standard driving licence.

UK licence holders will need to take their ID card and its paper counterpart (old style licence still accepted).

Information on foreign driving licences in Iceland on the website of the Multicultural Information Centre.

 As driving conditions in Iceland can be pretty tough in the wintertime, we strongly recommend that visitors study carefully Inspired by Iceland's guide on driving in Iceland.

Please visit safetravel.is for information about travelling in Iceland.

General information about health services and health insurance for tourists in Iceland can be found on the website of Icelandic Health Insurance (IHI).

For futher information about health insurance please contact Icelandic Health Insurance:

Icelandic Health Insurance:
Address: Vínlandsleið 16, 105 Reykjavík.
Phone: +354 515-0000
E-mail: [email protected]

For civil ceremonies in Reykjavik, contact:
District Commissioner in Reykjavik (Syslumadurinn í Reykjavik)
Skogarhlid 6
IS-150 Reykjavík
Tel: +354 569 2400
Fax: +354 562 4870
Web: www.syslumadur.is

Information on required documents can be found on the website of the District Commissioners.

For details pertaining to a Church wedding you should also contact either of the following: The Dean of Reykjavík (East)
Rev. Gísli Jónason
Tel: + 354 864 7486
E-mail: [email protected]

The Dean of Reykjavik (West)
Rev. Ása Laufey Sæmudsdóttir
Hallgrimskirkja, Skolavörduholti
IS-101 Reykjavík
Tel: +354 510 1000
Fax: + 354 510 1010
E-mail: [email protected]

The Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Iceland does not provide information about employment opportunities.

For information about work permits, please visit the website of the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration

For all information on studying in Iceland please visit Study in Iceland.

For information about  immigration, please visit the website of the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

For all matters regarding citizenship, please contact the Icelandic Directorate of Immigration.

Iceland is a party to the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees. The procedure for determining refugee status is laid down in the Act on Foreigners no. 96/2002. Every year a number of persons apply for asylum in Iceland and the Directorate of Immigration processes their applications on first instance. The Directorate of Immigration is also responsible for the care taking of asylum seekers that are not capable to support themselves. Applications for asylum shall be submitted to the police that carry out the preliminary inquiry in association with the Directorate. According to Para 1 Article 46 of the Act on Foreigners a person has to be present within or at the borders of Iceland to be able to apply for asylum in Iceland. Applications received from abroad, for example with e-mail, cannot be processed.

You can seek further information at the webpage of the Directorate of Immigration and further information regarding migrating to Iceland on the webpage of the Multicultural Information Centre.

Information and application for recognition of foreign vocational education can be found at Erasmus+.

and Idan Educational Centre.

The recognition of academic degrees here in Iceland is handled by our national Enic-Naric office.

For information on establishing a company in Iceland please follow this link: https://www.island.is/en/business_and_industry/business/start_a_business/

All Icelandic nationals, and foreign nationals who are domiciled in the country, may own real property (real estate) in Iceland. The conditions for owning real estate in Iceland are laid down in the Act on the Right of Ownership and Use of Real Property. Special rules apply to parties who exercise their rights under the EEA Agreement. Parties who are not EEA nationals require an exemption from the Minister of Justice to own real estate in Iceland.

For further information please visit our website on foreign nationals' real property rights.

Please contact the Directorate of Customs for information about travelling with human ashes to Iceland.

Email: [email protected]

Website: https://www.tollur.is/english/

For scattering human ashes in Iceland, please contact the District Commissioner in Siglufjörður. More information can be found on their website.

Unfortunately, the Icelandic Foreign Ministry does not have gifts or souvenirs to distribute abroad.

There is no truth to this rumour, this is a hoax.

See more here.

Was the content helpful?NoYes
Thank you

The tip will be used to improve the quality of services and information on the website of the Cabinet. Feel free to contact if you need assistance.

Why not?

Contact us

Tip / Query
Please answer in numerics

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Read more