Hoppa yfir valmynd

Consular Services

The Embassy provides Icelandic citizens with various consular services, such as voting, the renewal of passports and assistance in emergency situations, requiring official involvement.

If you have further questions, please contact the Embassy.

Please note that in order for a Canadian document to have the intended legal effect in Iceland it must be legalized in the following manner;

The document(s) must be verified at a Canadian Notary Public;

The document(s) must be legalized by the Department of Gobal Affairs Canada (GAC).
Please, send the document(s) to GAC, which certifies that the document was issued by the proper authority. Enclose the following:

  • a money-order payable to the Embassy of Iceland
  • a short letter addressed to GAC with request to send the document(s) after its legalization directly to the Embassy;
  • a short letter address to the Embassy with request to legalize your document(s). Also, please, include the calculation of total sum of your money-order and your day phone number where we can reach you, if we have questions;
  • a returning courier envelope with your post address

The regular period of legalization is 10-15 days.

The fee for the legalization of each document is CAD 50 .

In order to hasten the legalization, you can pay CAD 50 extra for each document, for same day processing.

The mailing address for GAC:
Authentication and Service of Documents Section (JLAC)
Global Affairs Canada
125 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0G2

Global Affairs Canada is responsible for providing authentication service to Canadian citizens and foreign nationals on all Canadian documents that will be used overseas.

Please visit the website of GAC for further information. Authentication of Canadian documents

Passport renewal for Icelandic citizens

Applications for Icelandic Passports

Citizens of Iceland can now apply for passports at the Embassy but have to come to the Embassy in person. Please make an appointment by phone or email and bring an older passport or official ID card.

Price for the application is CAD150. We only accept cash.

Passports are made in Iceland and sent by mail to an address requested by the applicant.

Emergency passports

In dire need, the Embassy can issue emergency passports to Icelandic citizen that need to get back to Iceland, where they can apply for a renewal of their current passport. It should be noted that emergency passports are not ideal travel documents.

Our Consulates across Canada cannot extend the validity of passports, but can issue emergency passports just like the Embassy.

Lost or stolen passports

When you receive your passport it is advisable to make a photocopy of it and take note of your passport details. This information should be kept somewhere safe, and away from your passport in case it is lost or stolen.

If your passport is stolen in Canada you should immediately report the loss to the nearest police station. You also need to report a loss of your passport to the issuing authority. The Icelandic Embassy in Ottawa can help you by issuing a temporary travel document.

Please note that if you find your passport after it has been reported lost or stolen it can no longer be used.

Biometric Passports

As of May 17th 2006 Iceland started issuing new Biometric Passports. Biometric passports are just like traditional passports with the difference that they contain an electronic chip that is encoded with the same information found on page 2 of the passport. It also includes a digital picture of the bearer's face.

The addition of the electronic chip to the Icelandic passport increased security, provided greater protection against tampering and reduced the risk of fraud.

Dual Citizenship

An Act amending the Icelandic Citizenship Act, No. 100/1952, enables Icelandic citizens to retain their Icelandic citizenship even if they apply for citizenship of a foreign state.

The amendments entered into effect July 1, 2003.

In main, the amendments are the following:

A. An Icelandic citizen will retain his citizenship when becoming a citizen of another state, provided that state allows double citizenship. This also applies to any children below the age of 18 years in that person's custody. The conditions set in Article 8 of the Icelandic Citizenship Act as regards residence or stay in Iceland prior to the age of 22 years must be fulfilled.

B. In order to acquire citizenship of a state not allowing double citizenship, an Icelandic citizen must apply for release from Icelandic citizenship before the new citizenship can be confirmed. An application for release from Icelandic citizenship shall be lodged with the Ministry of Justice. The application must be accompanied by a confirmation that the new citizenship will become effective when release is obtained from the Icelandic citizenship.

C. An Icelandic citizen who has accepted citizenship of another state and therefore has lost his Icelandic citizenship without the other state having made such a requirement, can apply for renewal of the Icelandic citizenship to the Ministry of Justice. The applicant must be a resident of Iceland or fulfill the requirements of Article 8 of the Act relating to stay in Iceland. Renewal can only be granted if confirmation is available to the effect that the applicant can accept Icelandic citizenship without loss of the present citizenship. Such applications must be lodged prior to 1 July 2007.

D. The provision of Article 8 of the Citizenship Act, to the effect that an Icelandic citizen who was born abroad and has never been domiciled in Iceland or resided in Iceland for any purpose indicating a desire to be an Icelandic citizen, shall lose his citizenship on reaching the age of 22 years, remains unchanged. Loss of Icelandic citizenship will however not occur if the person in question is not a citizen of any other state, and would therefore become stateless. Thus, double citizenship is not allowed for these citizens.

Icelandic Citizenship based on family heritage

Requests  for Icelandic citizenship should be directed towards the Ministry of  the Interior in Iceland. The general rule  for  applying  for Icelandic citizenship is that the person concerned shall have been domiciled in Iceland for at least 5 years.

Ministry of the Interior  in Iceland
Sölvhólsgötu 7
IS-150 Reykjavik
E-mail: postur@irr.is

For civil ceremonies in Reykjavik, contact:

District Commissioner in Reykjavik (Syslumadurinn í Reykjavik)
Skogarhlid 6
IS-150 Reykjavík
Tel: +354 569 2400
Fax: +354 562 4870
Web: www.syslumadur.is

For information on required documents please click here.

For details pertaining to a Church wedding you should also contact either of the following:

The Dean of Reykjavík (East)
Rev. Gísli Jónason
Thangbakka 5
109 Reykjavík
Tel: + 354 567 4810
E-mail: profaust@centrum.is 

The Dean of Reykjavik (West)
Rev. Jón Dalbú Hróbjartsson
Hallgrimskirkja, Skolavörduholti
IS-101 Reykjavík
Tel: +354 510 1000
Fax: + 354 510 1010
E-mail: hallgrimskirkja@hallgrimskirkja.is

Here you can find the Embassy´s answers to various questions related to consular and other issues.

How do I apply for an Icelandic citizenship?

Foreign citizens can apply for an Icelandic citizenship to the Icelandic Ministry of Justice. Icelandic citizenship is granted in accordance with Icelandic law.

How can I locate my relatives in Iceland?

If you know their full names, most Icelanders can be located either through the National Registry or the Icelandic phonebook.

Can the Embassy assist in applying for a residence permit?

Applications for a residence permit should be directed firsthand to the Icelandic Directorate for Immigration.

What can I bring with me when traveling to Iceland (food, fishing gear, alcohol and pets)?

The Directorate of Customs website answers these and other questions.

Must I have a machine readable passport so that I can enter the US?

Yes. Icelandic citizens carrying a passport issued after June 1st 1999 should have a machine readable passport. For further information about machine readable passports see the US Department of Homeland Security website.

What are biometric passports?

Biometric passports are passports that include a computer chip that can store a digital photograph, information regarding retinal verification and fingerprints. These passports are not yet issued by Iceland, but in future they will become standard travel documents for travel to the US and other nations. They should not be confused with electronically readable passports that are now required for travel to the US.

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). For Icelandic citizens coming to Canada, please see the Government of Canada's website to apply for an eTA.

Was the content helpful?NoYes
Thank you

The tip will be used to improve the quality of services and information on the website of the Cabinet. Feel free to contact if you need assistance.

Why not?

Contact us

Tip / Query

Veldu tungumál

This website uses cookies Read more