The Embassy of Iceland in Ottawa represents Iceland vis-à-vis Canada as well as Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Venezuela. The Embassy's mission is to strengthen and promote political, economic and cultural relations with these countries. The Embassy opened in May 2001.
Canada is one of Iceland's closest neighbours and allies and there are more people of Icelandic descent living in Canada than anywhere else outside of Iceland.
The Embassy runs an Overseas Business Service for North-America, located in New York, but you can as well connect with the embassy for information about trade and investment.
Information about Iceland's consulates in the embassy's jurisdiction can be found below.
- 2021 - Ambassador of Iceland to Canada
- Consul General and Trade Commissioner for North America 2014-2021, New York, NY
- Consul and Trade Commissioner for North America from 2006 to 2014, New York, NY
- Managing Director, Iceland Naturally 2006-2017
- General Manager, Icelandic American Chamber of Commerce 2006-2021, New York, NY
- Brand Manager, Icelandic USA, Inc. 2004-2005, Norwalk, CT
- Account Director, ABX Advertising Agency 2002-2003
- Account Director, XYZ Advertising Agency 2002
- Account Director, Mekkano Advertising, Public Relations and Web Agency 2001-2002
- Account Director, GSP Public Relations 2000-2001 (GSP merged with Mekkano in 2001)
- Account Manager, The Icelandic Ad Agency 1998-2000
- General Manager, The Young Conservatives 1993-1997
Boards and Committees
- The Export and Marketing Council of Iceland 2019-
- Nordic Innovation House 2017-2021, co-founder, member of the steering committee and chairman 2020-2021
- Foreign Trade Commissioner ‘s Association in New York, founder and chairman 2006-2012
- Nordic City Solutions North America 2017-2021, co-founder, and member of the steering committee
- AMPlify (health tech) 2017-2021, co-founder and member of the steering committee
- Master´s Degree in Integrated Marketing Communication, Emerson College, Boston, MA, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts in Political History, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, 1997
- Menntaskólinn í Kópavogi, High School, 1987
Born August 15, 1967. Married to Ms. Lulu Yee, artist
Icelandic consulates are located in most provinces of Canada. In each of those consulates an Honorary Consul can be contacted when questions or difficulties concerning Icelandic nationals arise. The main role of the Icelandic Honorary Consuls abroad is to protect and further the interests of Iceland and Icelandic nationals as appropriate. Honorary Consuls are private individuals who take care of their tasks on a part-time basis without remuneration.
Furthermore, the Embassy has jurisdiction over six Central and South American countries; Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama and Venezuela.